Author Visits for Elementary, Middle, and High School
Thank you for your interest in my school visits. I would love to visit your school to celebrate writing and reading with your students.
My mother, who was a school librarian, showed me the wonder and joy of reading. And through reading, I discovered my passion for writing.
And now, as an author of children’s books, I want to inspire kids and teens to find a similar passion for writing and reading.
I love writing for and working with young people and hearing their perspective on things. They’re seeing and learning about the world for the first time. They have unique and original ideas. I really respect what they have to say. And as a mentor for both fourth graders and eighth graders through the local Young Writers Program, I’ve been impressed and amazed with the work by these young writers.
Through my school-visit presentations, I strive to have a back-and-forth engagement with the students where we inspire each other to find joy in writing.
Young Writers Program is incredibly grateful to have Linda Covella as a volunteer writing mentor to Santa Cruz students. Through patient and thoughtful encouragement, Linda guides young writers to a piece of writing they’re proud to share. Her authentic mentorship in local 4th and 8th grade classrooms helps students delve inward to think creatively and critically. She helps students cultivate voice and confidence while discovering their inner-writer! ~Angela Tapia, Volunteer Coordinator for Young Writers Program
Sessions last 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the grade of the students. Sessions for third graders and up include a Q & A.
The following presentations can be adjusted and/or combined, and details will vary, depending on the grade of the students and school needs.
All the presentations include student engagement, my personal experiences, and references to and/or readings from my books.
Click here for some of the topics discussed during the following presentations:
- Writing Workshop for Kids
- Early CA History, the Juan Bautista de Anza 1775 colonization expedition
- Road to Publication: The Publishing Process
What to Expect/Takeaways from My School Visit
- A celebration of writing and reading
- Writers are readers
- Writing is a way to be creative and express yourself
- Inspire students to improve their writing skills.
- Editing is for the mechanics, or basics, such as spelling, grammar
- Revision is where you dig into your creativity!
- How to put ideas/imagination on paper for stories or essays
- Student involvement presented in a fun way
- Publishing process, acceptance and rejection (rejection/criticism is an opportunity)
Sessions last 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the age/grade of the students. Three sessions max/day.
One session: $250
Two sessions: $225 each
Three sessions: $200 each
Fees are for local, Santa Cruz County schools. Travel expenses for distant or out of state visits to be discussed on a school by school basis.