Road to Publication: Back on the Horse

*My never-give-up attitude is put to the test.*

My first post for my blog on Santa Cruz Patch was Never Give Up! I was excited to talk about my “road to publication,” that after much writing, revising, submitting and rejection, I’d finally landed my first book contract. My advice to fellow writers—or anyone with a dream—was to never give up, never stop trying to achieve your goals, never let go of your dreams.

Charging Forward!

Charging Forward!

Now, it’s time to take my own advice.

I recently received a letter from my publisher saying they’re going out of business, so my book contract is null and void—my book will not be published.

As you might imagine, this was devastating news. I’d finally reached my goal to be a published writer. I was finally going to see my dream come true. Then, poof, it was all snatched from me in a matter of seconds.

I was deflated. I cried. I had no energy or desire to write.

And then I slowly began to climb back onto that horse.

I rose out of my puddle of dejection and gave myself a good shake. If one publisher had liked the story, then maybe another would.

I put my foot in one stirrup, and pulled myself up. I’d look over the manuscript again (it had been awhile since I’d read it) with an eye toward improvements.

I swung my other leg over the horse and settled on its back. I’d start researching agents and publishers who were interested in young adult historical fiction.

I grabbed the horse’s reins. I had two other completed novels for middle grade readers. I’d take a fresh look at those, incorporate changes I’d been considering, and start submitting those as well.

I’m now charging forward, remembering why I started writing fiction in the first place—because I love it. I have a revamped website, a positive and hopeful attitude, strategies in place and advice to follow: Never Give Up!

How have you overcome rejection and disappointment while pursuing your dream?

Advertisements

About lindacovella

I am an author of fiction for tweens and teens.

12 Responses to Road to Publication: Back on the Horse

1. tylasmith says:

I would die. I would crawl into a ball, probably under my computer desk, and die. Then I’d come back to life like a zombie and eat some brains.

A cute zombie.

Who doesn’t eat kittens.

Never Give Up, I like that. It’s inspiring to look at.

I expect rejection so it doesn’t hit me as hard. Granted, it would kill me if I was almost to publication then it didn’t happen.

• lindacovella says:

Tyla, it was very tough to deal with, such disappointment. But this is my dream, so I’m not giving up! Thanks for your comment–and I hope you keep at it!

2. Great attitude. Digging yourself into a hole certainly won’t help. And you are right. You’ve already had the affirmation that your work is good and ready for publication. Now it’s just a matter of getting the right manuscripts into the right hands. You go, girl!

3. Glad you got back on the horse Linda. I don’t use the word rejection anymore. There are so many different reasons why a publisher turns down a manuscript. Not liking your work is often not the case. Lack of available budgets, reader demand, reading times and submission requirements are only a few of the considerations. I see it as being in-between publishers. One publisher might not have the time for your manuscript, but another might snap it up. Be well, and spread your positive and hopeful attitude around.

• lindacovella says:

Murielle, you’re right, so many things influence a publishers decision. I appreciate your comment and kind words!

4. Well said, Linda. Have to get back on that horse. Even when knocked down, we must stand back up and take charge once again. I would do the same.
    When I receive a rejection letter, I go through the same phases you did — succumb to sadness, but get right back up and push forward. It is the only way.
    You’ll find another publisher. I’m sure of it.

5. Jill says:

I’ve heard lots of publishing horror stories, Linda, and yours is right up there. So sorry to hear this. Glad that you are finding a way out of disappointment and the grrrrrrr. I think it was Philip Roth who said — mangling the quote — that writing is basically frustration and humiliation. That goes 10-fold for the publishing part. Carry on.

• lindacovella says:

Thanks so much, Jill. I appreciate the encouragement. Hopefully I will make it past the frustration and humiliation. 🙂

6. Dale Ibitz says:

That totally sucks. But I agree, if one publisher liked it, so will another! Just gotta find it. Keep rocking, Linda! Even after you see the Stones. 🙂